Digital printing industry is growing and evolving as per the market demands and trends.
In today’s world, the technology of digital printing has taken over traditional printing processes. Let us first understand a little about digital printing. Digital printing imprints graphic materials with the help of digital printing equipment. Digital printers typically provide sophisticated prepress services, using scanners to input images and computers to manipulate or format the graphic images prior to printing. There are many facets to consider before you dive into the printing business and examine what works best for your business model. The type of printing company you choose – whether it’s a commercial print shop, T-shirt printing shop or small screen print shop – will impact all future decisions for your business. As of 2020, the global printing business industry has observed robust growth and it is expected to grow to $980 billion in the foreseeable future. The USA, Europe and some Asian countries are the key markets for printing.
Screen printing has evolved from the ancient art of stenciling that took place in the late 1800s and over time, with modifications, the method has evolved into an industry. Screen printing is a technique that involves using a woven mesh screen to support an ink-blocking stencil to receive a desired image. It is most commonly associated with T-Shirts, lanyards, balloons, bags, and merchandise. However, this process is also used when applying latex to promotional printed scratch cards or for a decorative print process called spot UV. When setting up a screen-printing business, start-up costs can range from a few hundred dollars to $150k for a franchise
In this article, we are going to explore the best printing business ideas and opportunities that can be explored on any scale and investment capacity.
- Greeting card printing – Digitally printed greeting cards are widely used and they are only growing more and more popular with time. If you have a creative bent of mind, this can prove to be a great business venture.
- Mug printing – Personalized printing on mugs is loved and appreciated by customers and it is considered a very viable gifting option.
- Wallpaper printing – Wallpapers are a must now in interior designing and they are considered a good and aesthetic alternative to wall paint. Interior designers always need a good wallpaper printing vendor to assist them in their designing of projects.
- Promotional item printing – These include flyers, letterhead, booklets, brochures, etc. Items like these are always in demand and can be met with sufficient machinery and resources.
- Shopping bag printing – Retail store chains, brands and small business owners like to offer shopping bags to customers with their logo, print and color on them. It is a multi-million-dollar industry.
- Smartphone cover printing – Consumers today are particular about their phone covers and how they want their phones to look. They are often on the search for customized printing options. You can start this business very easily online.
- T-shirt printing shop – T-shirt printing is yet another expanding industry and can be started as a small-scale venture as well.
- Visiting card or business card printing – This business demands a small start-up capital. It is a safe option if you are a beginner in the digital printing business.
- Sticker printing – It is a low-budget and profitable option within the printing industry. Moderate investment, good contacts for long-term contracts and consistent orders are necessary for this segment.
These are among the most profitable printing ideas.
Guide To Starting a Printing Business:
– Some of the skills required for screen printing are design, technology and a business knack.
– Additionally, you need technology to support the screen-printing business which typically includes an e-commerce platform, payment processors, editing software and marketing software. This information comes in handy when you are trying to start a T-shirt printing business because an efficient website and software can help save you a lot of time and allow you to expand your customer base.
– Acquiring a set of business skills like accounting, pricing, shipping, inventory, management, marketing can immensely help you take your printing business to new heights and help you navigate through the markets’ ups and downs.
– Social media can prove to be a great tool for your business marketing. Having a presence on social media platforms to create awareness and engage with potential customers is one of the quickest ways today to get orders online. If your communication is on point and effective then you’ve got the attention of your target consumer and it is the core of any marketing strategy.
– Another aspect to look into is the name of your business. The name can reflect the work that you do or the vision of your business model. It plays a vital role in the overall positioning and thus the success of your business.
– Also, including the location or suggesting it in your name helps customers identify your brand or business easily.
– Each location has different licenses, permits or tax forms. Hiring a legal representative that has experience in starting a business can help.
– Last but not least is your delivery and logistics management. You will need an effective logistics infrastructure to manage your supply chain as smoothly as possible. Again, you can do this on your own by creating logistics workflows or you can outsource it to a third-party company. Decide on a commission to pay them either monthly or on the basis of orders.
Apart from these, there are other factors to consider before starting a digital printing business depending on your scale, investment, location and area of expertise like screen printing management software.
Screen printing management software sometimes referred to as output management software, is designed to optimize the use of printers and multifunction printers (MFPs). Print management provides options for user authentication for accessing printed materials. Print management software encourages responsible printing and cuts paper, toner and power usage costs by using different quotas and print policies. Print management software allows users to print from whatever mobile or “bring your own device” (BYOD) they have. Regardless of the operating system, file location, file format or the brand of printer, print management software can solve all issues while integrating into the print charging, accounting and quota process.
Here are some tips to make your print shop stand out and become successful.
Pick a good area. While print shops can be lucrative businesses, one factor that affects your success is the location. A commercial print shop should be located in an area that is a hub and attracts customer traffic.
– Identify your target market. This can help you determine what kind of printing services you should offer. For example, if you’re setting up a print shop near a university, you can expect many people to have their thesis, papers, organization t-shirts, and photocopies done.
– Offer online services and delivery. One way to stand out in the sea of print shops in your area is to widen your scope by providing your services online and offering document delivery. Most commercial print shops today offer their services online as well and don’t wish to remain restricted to their location and reach customers wherever they are.
– Expand your products and services. Think ahead to what your customers will need and offer more than just printing services. For example, offering to staple their papers is commonly done for free but you could also place their printed files in a folder or envelope for an extra fee.